Well, things haven't been terribly exciting around here this past week. My days exploring the city and traveling about are slowly being replaced with staying in and studying. Being that everything here is in spanish I figure I probably ought to make an effort to learn the language. This being said my days usually consist of studying, drinking coffee and eating. Being in the house all day isn't really that bad though, I eat well and everyone here is very helpful/patient as I butcher their language. Well, almost everyone that is...
In the week and a half or so I've been here I've noticed a distinct dynamic within the house. However, before I get into that it might be helpful to know who actually lives here.
Alejandra-House Mom
Hilberto-House Dad
Carmen-Housekeeper/Cook
Luis-Son, Student, 22
Michael- Student, 24, Germany (pronouced "MI-KY-EL", I spent the first two days looking for someone named "Michael", as pronounced in the states)
Martin-27, Paraguay
Myself-25, USA
Mariana-21? Mexico
Karen-17 Mexico
Fernanda-17 Mexico
As you can see I have divided the house into three groups. There is group A which includes myself, the family and the males students. Group B which consists of the 17 yr. old girls, and then Mariana, who isn't around much and when she is she does her own thing.
Myself, Luis, Martin, and Michael are all students, fairly intelligent and generally out-going people.
Alajandra, Hilberto and Carmen run the place and they do a pretty decent job making sure everyone feels at home.
The 17 yr. olds... what to say about the 17 yr. olds... I'm sure that they have some sort of redeeming qualities, I'm just having some trouble finding them. Maybe it's the language thing.
I guess the best way to explain them would be to the way it was explained to me. "David, las chicas son, how do you say, -makes popping sounds with mouth while tapping head-"?
It's not really that we formed two groups and started avoiding each other, it kinda like when you hold two magnets together (the two ends which repel each other, for those of you inclined to make a smart ass remark), it's possible but it takes considerable effort and in the end they end up separated.
For instance, when I first arrived here I had some trouble adapting to the eating schedule, namely, having to wait until 2 to eat lunch. So I spent the first week practically drooling until the food hit my plate at 2. This was also the time the girls chose to eat and the majority of the meal was spent like this "Hola, como estas?" "Bien" and they would proceed to talk amongst themselves for the duration of the meal while I was trying to figure out if they were actually talking amongst themselves or if I was just missing my opportunities to join in on the conversation. Turns out they were talking amongst themselves and I was doing a very poor job of eavesdropping.
After a week or so of this Alejandra ("Ale" pronounced A-LeH) came up and invited me to lunch/dinner with the family. Turns out the "family" consists of the actual family and pretty much everyone else in the house but the girls. It also just so happens, because the family eats later, that nicer meals are available. So, now I grab a banana or something of the sort to hold me over, and eat with the "family". This has worked out well for Dave. Now I practice spanish, learn the names of vegetables, utensils, etc all while trying all kinds of great genuine mexican food (Freshly made tortillas and salsa available everyday!).
Now I don't want you thinking we're going out of our way to alienate the girls, it's just that we don't share the same ideas on... well, a lot of things. Por ejemplo, when I am studying I really don't mind a bit of ambient noise, but there is a big difference between ambient noise and 90's boy band songs on repeat, intermixed with the distinct sound of several instant messenger conversations taking place. Or, when I'm reading in the morning and an alarm goes off for 2 hours. This, in and of itself would be enough to make some people angry, not me though I'm patient. But the alarm isn't your standard buzzing or radio, this is some cleverly created song. And not just any song, or an entire song, but just the verse "I want you to be my lover" looped and played over and over again.
Well, I guess if the only thing I have to gripe about is a couple teenagers things aren't that bad. On that note, I'm going to go get my laundry ready for pick-up and grab a cup of tea. I hope everything is going well state-side for everyone.
-Dave
No comments:
Post a Comment